Onyx end support of 60/A60 etc: imx31 processor
2012-09-08, 13:40 GMT (This post was last modified: 2012-09-08 13:51 GMT by Amnesia.)
Onyx end support of 60/A60 etc: imx31 processor
For a time there was development of a 1.6 firmware version. Then Onyx incremented the number to 1.7 - planning a unified version for ALL readers. But, alas, now we are left with the 1.5.1 as the final one. According to the Polish reseller (who published the 'wolderized' beta of a 1.6 - don't install it!):

--quote--
What's new in firmware 1.7
September 7, 2012 10:18:00
Robert ArtaTech
[...]
--
tez1 wrote (a):
Yesterday I have uploaded, the Lord's dictation, version 1.6 for A60 Onyx and happy sprawdziłbym 1.7.
--
1.6beta version, which is available here on the forum, not udostępnialiśmy on our site because it does not make too much of the software, and at the same time has a bug that causes bad energy management in some series readers. You can try it out, but if the problem occurs in a given copy, it deepens after successive cycles of charging and operating the reader. It is very difficult to diagnose in a short time and with the copy will work well. This is the same version of the test is 1.7.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer (Onyx International) ended its support and software development for processor-based readers imx31. The series was 60/A60 to 3 years for X60 - two years, and for large M90 ​​- year.
These devices have large capacities and still be competitive even compared to other newer design.
As a distributor of readers in Poland, are available on our website the latest possible stable (for all series) versions of the software for the models based on these processors (530MHz imx31).

We are aware that there is a feeling of dissatisfaction due to lack of features that were to occur, or be extended. Sam wrote here on the forum, it will be a newer version that will be improvements, taking in the hands of trial versions, in which we detected errors that prevent you with a reader (not udostępnialiśmy them so).
Therefore, no longer waiting for the manufacturer, focused on newer models (which have a contract), we review the software available to us, to the introduction of possible improvements and achieve the most developed and stable version that we (as previously promised) to share.

We have no control over all the software components, the activities are aimed at resolving specific problems, so there is no currently available version of the "test".
--unquote--

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/t...zc4KbdRHHA

Real link: http://forum.eksiazki.org/modele-i-oprog...34-45.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-09-10, 08:08 GMT (This post was last modified: 2012-09-10 13:44 GMT by yoshi314.)
RE: Onyx end support of 60/A60 etc: imx31 processor
slightly better translation:

"
Unfortunately Onyx International ceased its support and software development for imx31 based readers. For 60/A60 that was a period of 3 years, for X60 - 2 years, for M90 - 1 year. Those devices are still competitive offerings with a lot of potential compared to more recent models.

As a Polish distributor we share more recent stable (for each series) software for models based on those cpus (imx31 530mhz).

We are aware of certain dissatisfaction due to lack of certain features that were supposed to arrive or be extended. I personally wrote that you'll get a new version and that there will be fixes, as i was running test versions that allowed us to detect show-stopping bugs (hence why we did not share them).

Not waiting for a producer anymore, who's focused on newer models (which are already being pre-ordered), we are reviewing available software, to provide potential fixes and achieving most complete and stable version we could (according to our earlier promises) share with you.

We don't have control over entirety of the software and we are focusing on removing specific bugs, therefore there's no test version as of yet.
"

In essence - yes, it's dropped. But there maybe will be some new wolderized polish update.

I hope we can get a poppler-based pdf reader on our onyx-es, and we won't have to rely on their 3rd party tools, just to have pdf support.
2012-09-10, 13:18 GMT
it's a bit strange, because this eReader is still sold

for example, here:
https://www.onyx-boox.com/store/onyx-boo...ld-edition
2012-09-10, 13:45 GMT
well, i wouldn't know. maybe they meant the device was being pulled of other markets (e.g. from Poland) ?
2012-09-10, 18:35 GMT
No, Onyx really has decided to stop firmware development for all existing devices worldwide except the i-series and the M92. Someone at BeBook told me some time ago that Onyx refused to do an update of the Club S firmware to fix some bugs, even though BeBook was willing to pay for the update. They were told that Onyx has pulled all their developers from the update projects for the 'legacy' readers and decided to focus on the new models. This message from the Polish reseller confirms this decision.

In addition to the A60 several other of the now unsupported models are still being sold, e.g. the M90 and M91. Owners of the 60/A60 are not that bad off because the 1.5.1 version of the firmware is pretty stable. But owners of other models such as the M90 and M91 are stuck with a new but buggy device.

Until recently Onyx promised to keep on supporting all models. No longer than a couple of months ago this promise was repeated by Onyx Russia. Too bad that the Chinese bosses now decided to break all these promises. When Onyx started out a couple of years ago, they seemed to try to position themselves as a reliable company. Now it turns out that they are not (or not anymore).
2012-09-10, 22:40 GMT (This post was last modified: 2012-09-12 13:18 GMT by alexkidd.)
I'm very sad to see the latest moves of Onyx.

But these news doesn't match well with the reality.

Onyx also produces an A62x series of models with the same design of A60 (but hardware similar to other new xx2x devices)

The polish vendor have released, this year, an update with the version 1.7 of the firmware for the models X61s and X61E (see here http://onyx-ereader.pl/pl/fw-boox-x61e )

I'm very curious to discover what firmware is loaded on the gold version of the Boox A60 sold at onyx-boox.com

Edit:
now I know:
Quote:Dear Alex,

Version of the firmware on the Boox A60 is 1.5.1 20110418

Best regards
ArtaTech Team
2012-09-16, 11:48 GMT
WTF ? A beta version 1.7 has been released on polish forum!

This version is recent! 20120906 (!!!)

You can see (and download) it here http://forum.eksiazki.org/onyx-boox-f162...12045.html

PLEASE MAKE ATTENTION: THIS FIRMWARE IS PROBABLY WOLDERIZED