R.I.P Boox 60
2012-02-27, 18:01 GMT
R.I.P Boox 60
my Onyx Boox 60 is dead by itself. Confused

since some days my Boox has a strange problem of memory: don't remember the last document opened and the last page viewed for each recent book opened. (but only PDFReader and FBReader, CoolReader works ok)

Today I have discovered that don't remember also the "preferred applications" settings. And then..... the disaster. During the normal use (nevertheless I was on a train and and not knowing what to do I read an epub) the device freeze!

At home I have tryed a reset without solve the problem: the Boox rebooting and then stops it on the splashscreen. With the blue led on.

I have tryed to do an upgrade (with pressing OK and the reset at the same time) and the upgrade works (for example if I came from a Onyx firmware to a Bebook firmware the splashscreen is changed) but the stops after the complete loading of the bottom bar with the splashscreen still remains.

I think this is a problem of memory corruption (I hope that is not HARDWARE with the end of the writing-cycles of the NAND flash memory) so I am unable to resolve the problem, because I have no access to the internal memory of the boox.

Any advice is welcome
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-02-28, 18:35 GMT
RE: R.I.P Boox 60
Are there any combination of keys to erase all the settings of the Boox?

For example: during the update process something to do a full wiping of the memory.
Other devices (like sony's e-reader) have a combination of keys to press during the boot and this cleans all the memory/restore to the default.
2012-03-03, 17:18 GMT (This post was last modified: 2012-03-03 17:19 GMT by alexkidd.)
Koudijs has solve my problem with a special upgrade who clear the /root/Settings/ directory

(this is the same fix that allows the downgrading from 1.5 to 1.4)

Many thanks to Koudijs

I attached this file here for the future...

Attached File(s)
.gz  boox-clearsettings-0.1.tar.gz (Size: 55.14 KB / Downloads: 69)
2012-04-26, 16:24 GMT (This post was last modified: 2012-04-26 16:24 GMT by alexkidd.)
The reader has again the same problem Confused

Unfortunately CoolReader has been crashed after the attempt to open a not "well formed" epub.

Now the reader it still works (opens the files, do shutdown and bootup correctly) but don't remember any settings (bookmark, last pages and global settings)

I have tried the special upgrade who clear the /root/Settings/ but this time do not solve my problem Sad

Hence, armed with utelnetd ( http://users.openinkpot.org/~lunohod/onyx/ )
I have see in the /root directory what file could cause my problem.

There are many *.db files who contains some information in a SQLite database format. Some of this contains (I think) the global settings for the preferred applications (system_config.db) and the last page opened (content.db)

This files are not been more written after the crash. And, for example if I remove (really renamed Rolleyes ) the content.db file and I open a new pdf/epub document a newly content.db file is created in /root/ , but it is completely void and his size is 0. This happens also if I do an upgrade of the firmware.

There are some tricks to force the restoration of the *.db files?
2012-04-26, 18:28 GMT (This post was last modified: 2012-04-26 18:28 GMT by alexkidd.)
I have seen the output of the command cat /etc/appstart.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ -f "/etc/firstboot.sh" ]; then
    /etc/firstboot.sh
    if [ $? != 0 ]; then
        exit 1
    else
        rm -f /etc/firstboot.sh
        poweroff
    fi
fi

# Recreate the config directories if necessary.
if [ ! -d "/root/Settings" ]; then
    rm -f /root/Settings
    mkdir -p /root/Settings
fi

if [ ! -d "/root/onyx_reader" ]; then
    rm -f /root/onyx_reader
    mkdir -p /root/onyx_reader
fi

if [ ! -d "/usr/share/adobe/resources/fonts" ]; then
    ln -s /opt/onyx/arm/lib/fonts /usr/share/adobe/resources/fonts
fi

if [ ! -f "/root/Settings/language" ]; then
    rm -rf /root/Setting/language  # just in case there's a dir with the name.
    echo "export LANG=en_US.UTF-8" > /root/Settings/language
fi

if [ ! -f "/root/Settings/pointercal" ]; then
    rm -rf /root/Settings/pointercal
    echo "-2287 1 59751 5 2280 -27771556 -34758" > /root/Settings/pointercal
fi

if [ ! -f "/root/Settings/screen" ]; then
    rm -rf /root/Settings/screen
    echo "export QWS_DISPLAY=Transformed:Rot0:OnyxScreen:/dev/mem" > /root/Settings/screen
fi

if [ ! -f "/root/Settings/waveform" ]; then
    rm -rf /root/Settings/waveform
    echo "export WAVEFORM=3" > /root/Settings/waveform
fi

[ -f /etc/profile ] && source /etc/profile

# Load mmc modules.
sdmmc_module.sh load

# Now we're using system bus.
if [ ! -d "/var/run/dbus" ]; then
    rm -f /var/run/dbus
    mkdir -p /var/run/dbus/
fi

if [ -f "/var/run/dbus/pid" ]; then
    rm -f /var/run/dbus/pid
fi
dbus-daemon --system --print-address

# create link
cd /opt/onyx/arm/lib/fonts
for args in *.otf
do
    ln -sf $args ${args%%.*}.ttf
done

# Start watchdog, a safe wrapper for system_manager
/etc/watchdog.sh &

Then I have done two action:

1_ I have removed the cache of the software CoolReader who stores all the epub files opened from his first execution.

rm -r /root/.cr3/cache/

2_ I have removed the onyx_reader directory because the appstart.sh script recreates this directory if necessary

rm -r /root/onyx_reader/

and then... after a simple reboot my boox turns to work! Big Grin

/root/onyx_reader/ is currently empty (in the old directory the are some xml files) it's a bit strange.

I hope who in the most recent version of the formware the last version of CoolReader does not store a copy of each epub opened.
Someone can verify it?
2012-04-27, 10:42 GMT
Which firmware version are you using?

(2012-04-26 18:28 GMT)alexkidd Wrote:  I hope who in the most recent version of the formware the last version of CoolReader does not store a copy of each epub opened.
Someone can verify it?
I am using a CoolReader build from January and this one also has its cache directory in the root partition. The files in it are in the megabytes range. I hope it can't fill up the entire root partition which is only 32MB in size.

[url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/openbooxproject]OpenBOOX[/url]: The open source Boox 60 firmware
[url=http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/openbooxproject/index.php?title=Main_Page]Wiki[/url] - [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/openbooxproject]YouTube[/url]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-04-27, 13:39 GMT
(2012-04-27 10:42 GMT)Koudijs Wrote:  Which firmware version are you using?

Actually I'm using the last usable version: 1.5.1 - 20110927 (the russian version)

Because in this version there is a crop function to remove the margin on the PDF. Indispensable for me.

Koudijs Wrote:
(2012-04-26 18:28 GMT)alexkidd Wrote:  I hope who in the most recent version of the formware the last version of CoolReader does not store a copy of each epub opened.
Someone can verify it?
I am using a CoolReader build from January and this one also has its cache directory in the root partition. The files in it are in the megabytes range. I hope it can't fill up the entire root partition which is only 32MB in size.

Too bad Confused but now I will ask also at the M92 owners, here http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthr...ost2059573
2012-04-30, 13:04 GMT
An user have reassured my paranoia

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpos...ostcount=3