problem with a polish Wolder-like firmware
2012-01-23, 23:43 GMT (This post was last modified: 2012-01-23 23:45 GMT by alexkidd.)
Sad problem with a polish Wolder-like firmware
Dear expert users of this forum,

First I must say I'm Italian, so excuse me if I do not write in English properly

I have encountered a problem with a Wolder-like firmware who is distributed by http://onyx-ereader.pl/ .
In this thread http://www.onyx-boox.ru/board/viewtopic....3ae33d4099 I learned about the existence of a version 1.6 for A60 distributed in the official polish forum
http://forum.eksiazki.org/onyx-boox-f162...29-15.html

After the upgrade I'm unable to do a rollback to any other firmares (russian, official, italian, etc...) except the old polish firmware (here http://onyx-ereader.pl/pl/fw-boox-a60)

But now I'm only able to do a complete update with this two firmwares.... It's clear this firmwares contains a brand-lock like the spanish Wolderboox.

So after have sought on the internet I have discoveredI that the huge database of knowledge of this forum had been lost Sad

Is there anyone here who still remember the experience of Wolderboox and that can help me or at least advise me on how to move to solve the problem with my Boox 60?

For now I have decrypted with aescrypt the upd file of the polish update but I haven't found significant difference between this and the russian firmware....

Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-01-24, 00:41 GMT
Sad RE: problem with a polish Wolder-like firmware
I'm afraid I made the same rash mistake. I should have known better than updating my poor old Boox (just about to celebrate its 2nd birthday) with a firmware that has a new version number.

My major problem with this 1.6 20111128 version is that it does not recognize that my battery has power. It keeps on telling me that I have 0% left, and charging the battery won't help.

I had the same problem with the 1.5.1 20110927 version that was released and then retracted on the Russian site, and I'd like to go back to the stable 20110418 version again.

Is there anyone around who still has the tools & instructions to dewolderize the device? Otherwise, the only way to read is by keeping the cable connected (which is sort of OK at home but not while I'm traveling).

I hope someone can help alexkidd and me.
2012-01-24, 02:37 GMT
RE: problem with a polish Wolder-like firmware
at least, i can say that you are not alone! Smile
i also tried this firmware and have same problems
2012-01-24, 06:00 GMT
Hi, alexkidd.
It's sad that we lost so much good information here!
I don't have the same type of A60 (Wolder) so I never paid much attention to how to fix the wolderized firmware.

This page is in Catalan, but maybe you can figure it out with Google Translate.
http://quelijaume.net/?p=123
It seems to be something that might help. Or maybe you'll need to wait until more of the old Boox Users come back to the forum.

Buona fortuna!
2012-01-24, 09:29 GMT (This post was last modified: 2012-01-24 09:30 GMT by alexkidd.)
well, this is a good point of start.

I will try this solution this afternoon, in meantime attempt a post of Kib (which I see on google's cache had taken a solution/fix directly from onyx)
2012-01-24, 15:20 GMT (This post was last modified: 2012-01-24 15:29 GMT by alexkidd.)
Many thanks to all users who have post here, your support give me the power to try the "wolder fix" described in the spanish page.

I have solved the problem!
I have applied the fix witch success and update the firmware with the latest version of bebook and then I have update again without problem with the latest russian firmware (because for me the battery works well)

Istructions:

_Download this http://quelijaume.net/fotoblog/Reparar%2...Wolder.zip and extract the files contained in the root of the SD ( I'll Explain: all the files must be at the same level of the .upd files)

_Run the kernel_update.oar by push the OK button when is selected

_Waiting for ten minutes (You must wait ten minutes, even if the clock disappears before)

_If necessary prevent the reader goes into standby every now and then pressing the silver ring

_Put on the SD another firmware and shutdow and do a tipical upgrade procedure
2012-01-24, 16:32 GMT
(2012-01-24 15:20 GMT)alexkidd Wrote:  Many thanks to all users who have post here, your support give me the power to try the "wolder fix" described in the spanish page.

I have solved the problem!
I have applied the fix witch success and update the firmware with the latest version of bebook and then I have update again without problem with the latest russian firmware (because for me the battery works well)

Istructions:

_Download this http://quelijaume.net/fotoblog/Reparar%2...Wolder.zip and extract the files contained in the root of the SD ( I'll Explain: all the files must be at the same level of the .upd files)

_Run the kernel_update.oar by push the OK button when is selected

_Waiting for ten minutes (You must wait ten minutes, even if the clock disappears before)

_If necessary prevent the reader goes into standby every now and then pressing the silver ring

_Put on the SD another firmware and shutdow and do a tipical upgrade procedure
!!!******!!!
GREAT!
Congratulations!
!!!******!!!
I'm copying your post now, so we'll have a good English version of the correct method to put in the Wiki once that is back online.
2012-01-24, 17:03 GMT (This post was last modified: 2012-01-24 19:49 GMT by Zetmolm.)
Thanks everyone for the quick help! Booxusers is getting back on track!

I'll try this tonight (if I can find the time) and let you know whether this work for me as well.

Edit: Problem solved! I'm back at my favorite firmware, 20110418. Thanks again!
2012-01-24, 23:13 GMT
I'm proud and happy to see that my experience has helped also other users on other forums like the polish and onyx-boox.ru
2012-01-25, 00:32 GMT
All right!
This is what it's all about;
They can knock us down but they can't knock us out.
BooxUsers.com RULES!
Exclamation